The “Advisory Board” of the network will be for the first time established. Nomination of the advisory board members (including self nomination) will be open to all members of the network by 30 June 2013.
Advisory board is composed of country focal points therefore, selection of advisory board members means the selection of country focal points at the same time.
What are the functions of the advisory board members/country focal points?
As an advisory board member:
- develop strategies for functioning of the network (e.g. communication strategy, fundraising strategy, etc.) in coordination with the secretariat.
- closely work with the secretariat to discuss and give advice about any challenges related to the work and the function of the network .
- prepare 2 years work plan of the network in consultation with the secretariat.
- approve bi-annual report on the current situation surrounding women and emerging issues in the region (compiling the contribution from each member of the board).
- initiate dialogues on women’s health related issues in the Arab region among the members.
- contribute for fundraising opportunities by seeking research funding opportunities and mobilizing available resources in the region.
- encourage and assist the development of the capacity of the network members.
- approve the establishment of required Ad Hoc Committees contribute to nominating appropriate members for the committees.
As a country focal point:
- develop contacts in their country by identifying and inviting individuals and institutions working in the field of women’s issues to the network.
- regularly contact the members in their countries to receive information related to the interest of the network and providing them to the secretariat of the network.
- plan activities of the network in their countries in coordination with the other members of the network and the secretariat.
- be in charge of negotiating the hosting government/institution when the network conference or any other activities is organized in their countries.
Who can be an advisory board member/a country focal point?
Anybody who is a member of the BinWIAR who is active and committed to the above functions is eligible to be nominated or nominate themselves.
How many Advisory Board Members/Country Focal Points will be selected?
The number of the advisory board members/country focal points is different from country to country depending on the population size of the country.
|Number of advisory board members/country focal points|
|Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Lebanon, U.A.E., Jordan, Tunisia, Libya, Palestine||
|Syria, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Algeria, Sudan, Morocco||
What is the procedure of selecting the advisory board members?
1. Recommendation or an expression of interest (in case of self nomination) shall be sent by e-mail to email@example.com by 30 June 2013 stating 1) full name, 2) title and affiliation, 3) contact information (at least e-mail address), 4) country of nominating person.
Example 1. (recommendation)
I recommend Dr XXX, Professor of XXX University to be an advisory board member of the network and a country focal point of (name of the country). His contact information is (xxx@……)
Example 2. (self nomination)
I, Ms XXXX, Researcher of XXXX institute would like to nominate myself to be an advisory board member of the network and a country focal point of (name of the country). My contact information is xxx@……
Any further information (recommendation letters, motivation letters) to justify the nomination will be helpful for the selection.
2. If the number of the nomination does not exceed the quota of the country, the Secretariat will contact the nominated persons and receive their confirmation to take the role of an advisory board member/country focal point.
If the number of the nomination exceeds the quota in certain countries, a decision will be made by the previous advisory board members (for its first establishment, the taskforce group members) in coordination with the secretariat.
How long the term of the advisory board members/country focal points?
The term of the advisory board members/country focal points is 3 years, from 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2015, one time renewable.
When it turned out that the appointed advisory board members/country focal points can no longer take their responsibilities during the term, they should contact the Secretariat for resignation however, it does not affect the membership of the network. When there is a vacant seat in the advisory board/country focal points, it can be filled anytime by the same procedure mentioned above.
Please send your nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2013